These Polish croquettes, also known as “krokiety,” are similar to crepes, with a meat and vegetable filling. The crepes are quite elastic in comparison to US-style pancakes and are sometimes fried before being filled and rolled up into croquettes. Popular in contemporary Poland and eaten in the United States by Polish immigrants, krokiet are often served alongside a dish of spicy beet barszcz soup, an ancestor of borscht. They may also be served with a topping of gravy and mushrooms.
Recipe Servings: 4
+ 30 minutes resting
- 1 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- ½ cup water
- 2 eggs
- 3 Tbsp melted butter
- ½ tsp salt
- Nonstick cooking spray, as needed to grease pan
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 8 oz mushrooms, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- ½ cup sauerkraut, drained
- ½ cup meat of choice
- ½ cup cheese, grated
- In a mixer or blender, combine the flour, milk, water, eggs, melted butter, and salt, processing until a smooth batter forms. Let rest, refrigerated, for 30 minutes.
- Grease a small frying pan using nonstick cooking spray and set it over medium-high heat.
- Add about ¼ cup batter and shake and tilt the pan to evenly coat the bottom with a layer of batter.
- Cook for about 30 seconds, until the crepe is set and beginning to brown. Flip and cook for an additional 10–20 seconds. Remove and stack on a plate.
- In a frying pan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and cook until tender.
- Add the sauerkraut and the cooked meat. Stir in the grated cheese. Set the filling aside.
- Place about 2 tablespoons of filling on each of the crepes, keeping it about an inch from the edges. Fold the top of each of the crepes over the filling, then fold the sides in and roll tightly.
- In a small dish, whisk together the egg and water.
- Carefully dip each of the rolled crepes in the egg wash, then roll them in a shallow dish or bowl with the breadcrumbs to thoroughly coat.
- In a large frying pan, heat about ½ inch of oil to a temperature of 350°F over high to medium-high heat.
- Carefully place each of the krokiet in the hot oil and cook for about 1 minute on each side, until golden brown.
Recipe introduction and directions © Copyright 2016-2022 World Trade Press. All rights reserved.