Apples and cheese are a popular combination, offering crisp and creamy textures and sweet and savory flavors. Apples are a versatile fruit that appear in all kinds of salads, from the classic Waldorf to chicken salads and creative coleslaws. They have historically been paired with cheese, and contemporary salads often add nuts to this combination. This salad can easily be personalized with favorite apples and a range of blue cheeses from Roquefort to Stilton.
Recipe Servings: 10
- 2 Tbsp sherry wine vinegar
- 1 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp honey
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 10 cups mixed salad greens
- 4 oz hard blue cheese, crumbled
- 3 large red delicious, gala, or cortland apples, cored and cut into ¾-inch cubes
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- ½ red onion, sliced
- Whisk together the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Drizzle in the olive oil slowly, while whisking.
- Toss together the salad greens, blue cheese, apples, celery, and onion in a large bowl until well mixed.
- Drizzle dressing over salad, tossing to coat.
- Sprinkle extra cheese on top if desired.
Recipe introduction and directions © Copyright 2016-2021 World Trade Press. All rights reserved.