Simple salads of chopped summer vegetables are the essence of shepherd’s salad, or coban salatasi, which are popular throughout the Mediterranean. Also referred to as peasant’s salad, this dish commonly uses green bell peppers, with flakes of red pepper sometimes added for heat. The salad is accented with salty cheese, and herbs like mint and oregano may be used with or in place of parsley. The salad is great served with kebabs or other meat dishes. Pita bread could also be served with this salad.
Recipe Servings: 6
+ 1 hour resting
- 3 Roma tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
- 2 cucumbers, deseeded and chopped
- 1 bunch parsley, leaves picked, not chopped
- ½ cup pitted and halved black olives (kalamata or other briny olives)
- ½ small red onion, chopped
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 oz Greek feta cheese, diced
- Combine all ingredients except feta in a large bowl.
- Let sit at room temperature for 60 minutes.
- Toss feta in before serving and check flavors, adding salt or pepper, if needed.
Recipe introduction and directions © Copyright 2016-2021 World Trade Press. All rights reserved.